Sunday, March 8, 2009

At the Helm of Ruby Princess


As I have mentioned previously in these pages, I was very impressed by the Ruby Princess when I cruised on her in November. The Grand Princess class ships offer a good variety of activities and amenities and I have found the service to be consistently good on those ships. However, everything seemed to come together particularly well on Ruby Princess, which is quite amazing for a new ship.

Much of the credit for this must go to the man at the top because the character of a ship is often influenced by her captain. In addition, since Ruby Princess may well be the last Grand Princess ship built for Princess (there is another Grand under construction but she has been earmarked for sister company P&O Lines), the person assigned to be her first master must be a special individual.

Accordingly, I was very pleased to be able to spend some time talking with Captain Tony Yeomans in his office near Ruby Princess’ bridge. Captain Yeomans is a soft-spoken native of Derby, England who is quick to smile. He takes an understated approach to command that reflects confidence. Indeed, Captain Yeomans has a wealth of experience to draw upon having commanded nine Princess ships and having served on such legendary ships as Canberra and the first Royal Princess.

I spoke with Captain Yeomans about his career and about bringing the Ruby Princess into service. My interview appears in the Ruby Princess section of my website at http://beyondships.com/Princess-RU-art-Yeomans.html.

For those who are interested in military ships, I have added an article to the website about the various naval attractions open to visitors to Portsmouth, England. http://www.beyondships.com/sspi-RN-Ports.html

No comments: