Sunday, April 4, 2010

Talking with the Captain of Celebrity Mercury



This week we take another look at Celebrity Mercury and who better to speak about her than her captain?

Captain Komstantinos Patsoulas, a veteran of the Greek Navy, joined Celebrity Cruises in 1997. “Everything has changed - - the ships, the people, the opportunities for careers. Everything has changed for the better.”

However, as Captain Patsoulas pointed out to me, there is still a place in Celebrity for the 12-year old Celebrity Mercury. According to the captain, she is a “real ship.” Moreover, her crew tries hard to achieve an atmosphere of hospitality and friendliness. As a result, many guests still prefer this medium sized ship. My interview with Captain Pastsoulas is posted at http://www.beyondships.com/Celebrity-Mercury-art-captain.html
In a second article, we go onto the Mercury’s bridge to take a look at the ship from a nautical point of view. While there, I spoke with the ship’s navigator, Irene Cop, about how they drive the ship, the equipment on the bridge, the bow thrusters, the stabilizers and the engines. This article appears at http://www.beyondships.com/Celebrity-Mercury-art-bridge.html

1 comment:

See you outside! ♥ Marina said...

My friends and I just cruised through Alaska on the Mercury. This was my first cruise and what a gorgeous place to cruise to. We think the Mercury is a beautiful ship that would be great to keep it...maybe a little updating would help! Sadly though, we realize that it will be sailing in Germany or somewhere far, far away.

We met Captain Pastsoulas and we very happy to be left in his care. I was so impressed with the bridge....I wanted to learn more! This is definitely not coming from a nautical point of view! My friends and I look forward to doing this again--with Captain Pastsoulas at the wheel, helm...something like that!

Either way, it was a wonderful trip!