Friday, February 29, 2008

Cruise Line Fleet Cuides


There is a great deal of information out there about the ships in the fleets of the various cruise lines. However, I thought it would be useful to put together some charts which would allow readers to quickly see the relative age, size and design of the ships within the different fleets.

Accordingly, I have added what I call "Fleet Guides" to my website. These list the ships in the line's fleet in reverse chronological order by the date in which they entered service.

In addition, the guides list the gross tonnage of each ship. Gross tonnage is a measure of a ship's revenue producing volume rather than its actual weight. However, it is the standard measure used when people are referring to the size of a ship. Thus, with the gross tonnage figures, a person can see the relative size of the ships.

Next, I have listed the class of the ship. Class usually refers to the ship's design. Two ships are in the same class if they were built to the same design, perhaps with some minor variation. Therefore, if one knows the classes of a group of ships, one will know which ships were built to the same design. This can be particularly helpful if one has traveled on one of the ships in a cruise line's fleet and wants to know which other ones are like that ship.

Wherever possible, I have added photographs that I have done of the ships in the different fleets. In addition, there are links to the pertinent section of the site for those ships which I have done a detailed profile.

I hope you find this useful. http://www.beyondships.com/Cruiseshiphome.html

No comments: